September 29, 2016

The makeover that really is

We've all seen them.

The dowdy women, who don't know how to do make-up, and haven't had a haircut in years, and only wear jeans, old tee-shirts, and Birkenstocks, are finally given a makeover by a stylist.

At the big reveal, family members are astonished, and cry, and everyone rejoices.

The ugly has been made beautiful.

Hallelujah!

A miracle occurred.

And then the cameras are put away for the day, and the recipient of the makeover is sent home.

And she wakes the next day to the same old woman.

She can't do her hair, or make-up like the experts, and her jeans, tee shirts, and comfortable shoes are calling her name, and back she goes to her old ways, and she is happy, while everyone else wonders what happened, and why she doesn't look like she did the day before, and they wonder if she cares about herself, and they try not to say anything, but secretly they plot an intervention.

Sad isn't it that we think that our bodies (our looks) can have anything to do with happiness.

That is the worldly way of thinking, and in truth, it is the other way around.

The world can change a person on the outside, and it is a temporary event.

When God does a makeover on a soul, then they are never the same again.

If you are happy today, and depressed the next, then you've not been born new; you are moody.

If you sing God's praises today, and wonder if he hears you tomorrow, then you don't know him.

If you express love to a friend today, and wish her dead when she betrays you, then you do not love.

Before Jesus, people were not born new.

They were continually making sacrifices for sin.

Are you thinking you need to continually make a sacrifice for your wrong doing?

If so, then you have not been born new.

Jesus did not say, "Accept me into your heart."

He says, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand," (Matthew 4:17).

Do you think that repentance is a daily experience?

Are you made new every day, after you sin, and when you say that you are sorry?

If you believe that way, then you are saying that you need a sacrifice more than once.

The Sacrifice is done; it is finished.

Or do you think that you can put Jesus to death again and again?

Hebrews 10:26 explains that no one has a continual sacrifice.

Not anymore.

The only reason that you would need a continual sacrifice is if you continue in sin.

The born new soul does not do that.

"No one who is born of God will continue to sin," (I John 3:9).

Why?

They are new.

What is new about you?

Before I was truly born new, nothing was new about me, yet I had prayed the sinner's prayer, and cast out demons, and raised my hands in praise, and prayed— a lot.

None of that proves a born new soul.

I still hated.

Yet, at the same time I (and you, and all the rest of the world) have been commanded to love.

I did not love God with all my heart, nor my neighbor as myself.

I bore no one's burden without wanting praise for it, and therefore did not fulfill all the law.

And then I repented, and then I was born new, and now God does in me what I could not do.

I boast of nothing of me; it's all him.

I've been born new.

Have you?

It is the makeover that really is.

Rebirth is the real miracle.

You will not wake up tomorrow and be the old you ever again.

You will not doubt your salvation, or be fearful, or hate anyone.

Have you been born new?

Don't ask Jesus into your heart.

Repent of your sin, and be made new.

Agree with God about the sin that you do, or continue to do it.

But if you continue to do it, then there remains no sacrifice for you.

You can go on thinking that you know God, but you don't.

Sin does not dwell in his presence.

Only the blameless.

Are you blameless?






No comments:

Post a Comment