March 20, 2016

Need to know

Some things we need to know and other things are unnecessary.

My husband briefly came in from work yesterday, and handing me his phone said, "I broke my phone. Would you be able to go get me another one?"

I did not ask him how he broke it.

I really didn't care.

He just needed a new one, and I could go get it, and more importantly, I told him that our 6 month old kitten, who had gone up a tree further than ever, and seemed to not know how to get down from it, had indeed gotten down.

That, to me, was more important news to share with him, and as he seemed in a bit of a hurry, I didn't want to take valuable time with inconsequential information.

But at the phone store, I was asked, "How did he break it?"

I told the sales associate that I didn't know, and a little about why I didn't ask him, and was it important to know? Would it affect whether he got a new one or not? He just needs a new phone!

Well, if any of you have to deal with cell phone stores, you will understand when I tell you that, all told, it took around 6 hours, and me going home, and getting my husband, and returning to the store, to get him a "loner" until he can get his broken cell phone properly replaced.

In thinking back on that experience, I ask, "What is really necessary to know as a seeker of God?"

And, "How do we know we know him?"

And, "How do I know that I am following Christ?"

If you think that you are saved, then do you know what is essential to understand?

Is it simply that we have prayed a prayer?

Is it that we have been baptized?

Is it that we believe that Jesus is who he says he is?

That cannot be it. Demons believe that is true. They are not saved.

John 13:35 tells us that by one particular way all men will know if we follow Christ.

Love.

Do you love?

The words that come out of your mouth, and the deeds that you do, if aligned with I Corinthians 13, will prove you know God. All that is needed, in order to test yourself to see if indeed you follow Christ is the love test. We are told to examine our hearts to see if we are in the faith (II Cor. 13:5).

Do you search your heart, and ask God to help you (Psalm 139:23)?

We are not told to point to a record kept in a church office somewhere as proof of salvation.

We are commanded to look inside our hearts, and minds.

We are not to poke around in the hearts of others.

"By this will everyone know that you are my disciples, if you love one another," John 15:35.

Romans 5:5 tells us that those who know God have had love poured into them.

I Corinthians 13 explains what love is, and what it looks like in a true believer.

Love is not demanding.

Do you seek your own way, your own pleasure, and in your book, are you number one?

Love pitches no fit.

Do you stomp your foot, pout, and feel put-upon if things don't go as you wish?

Love hopes all things.

Have you given up on anyone, and think that some are beyond redemption?

Love does not experience discontentment.

Must you be entertained?

Love is happy for the success of others.

Do you rejoice when others rejoice, and weep when others weep?

Love endures— it never ends.

Does your love run out before the end of the day?

Love is patient, and does not say, "Hurry up!"

Love is not prejudice, nor show partiality.

Do you have best friends, while others are tolerated?

Love is kind.

Are you two-faced?

Love says, "My life I lay down for you."

Can that be said of you?

Love, in a soul, allows the soul to rest, for in knowing God, one is home, wanting nothing more.

Is your soul completely at rest?

Do you know God?

If so, then you love.

If not, repent of your sin. Turn away from it, and onto the narrow road. Seek God.

He commands that we love him with all our heart, and soul, and mind.

Do you?

You need to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment