February 10, 2016

I do know about tomorrow

Matthew 12:36 tells us that we will be held accountable for every careless word we speak.

That goes for the words we sing too.

And just because songs are in a hymnbook we must not assume that they are sound in doctrine.

Many hymns, and choruses are not Biblically sound.

In Scripture, we are told many times to not be deceived. Many of those times, it is referring to what is being preached, for many preachers are wolves, and are deceptive. Jesus said so (Matt. 7:15).

We are admonished to be careful about what we hear (I John 4:1, Luke 8:18, and I Timothy 4:1).

Are you?

We are told to study to be approved by God (II Timothy 2:15).

Do you?

To study, we must parse the words that we hear in sermons, and read in books, and sing in songs.

To 'parse' is to give attention to something by looking closely at the parts of the whole.

The redeemed are not lazy; they are zealous, for they think like Christ (I Corinthians 2:16).

Do you?

When you read Scripture is it to accomplish a goal, and mark off a to-do list?

Or do you read it for the love of it, and to study it to find instruction to obey?

Examine your heart. Listen to the words that you say. You will be judged for them.

Below is an old song that you may, or may not know, and I have parsed it.

My thoughts are in parenthesis.

Whether you agree with my thoughts or not, be aware of what you sing, and hear, and read.

Don't swallow all that you hear preached, nor sing all that you are asked to sing at church.

As Jesus said, "People will be held accountable for every careless word."

Do you belive him?

If so, then you will be examing carefully what you hear, and you will be slow to speak.

Otherwise, you do not belive in Jesus.

For to believe in Jesus is to accept all that he says as truth, and do it.

Now, what about this song?

Look carefully, and ponder about whether you agree with what I see.

Parse what I say!

I Don't Know About Tomorrow

I don't know about tomorrow; (The redeemed do know about it, and it is not guaranteed.)
I just live from day to day. (The redeemed live moment to moment.)
I don't borrow from it's sunshine (The redeemed don't borrow anything.)
For it's skies may turn to grey. (The redeemed only know joy, rain or shine.)

I don't worry o'er the future, (Heaven is in the future for the redeemed, so of course, no worries!)
For I know what Jesus said. (What did he say? Look to the sparrow, plus so much more!)
And today I'll walk beside Him, (The redeemed follow, and one can only follow from behind Him.)
For He knows what is ahead. (The redeemed know as well, and it is life now, and forevermore!)

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand (There are no wishy-washy thoughts in the redeemed for they know God.)
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand. (God holds his child, not just the hand; they do not tremble there.)

Every step is getting brighter (One is either in the light, or in darkness.)
As the golden stairs I climb; (No clue what that means.)
Every burden's getting lighter, (The yoke IS easy, and the burden IS light, or it isn't.)
Every cloud is silver-lined. (Worldly cliche. The redeemed know God. Trials are welcome, and easy.)

There the sun is always shining,
There no tear will dim the eye; (A reference to heaven, but heaven is not at the end of rainbows.)
At the ending of the rainbow
Where the mountains touch the sky. (No idea what this means, but it's smooth, and rhymes nicely.)

I don't know about tomorrow; (What exactly is it we must know about tomorrow anyway?)
It may bring me poverty. (Proverbs tells us sloth brings poverty, not simply a new day.)
But the one who feeds the sparrow, (We are told Jesus sees the sparrow fall, not that he feeds it.)
Is the one who stands by me. (Where in Scripture are we told Jesus stands beside anyone?)

And the path that is my portion (The path the redeemed share with others is narrow, always narrow.)
May be through the flame or flood; (The path, not may, but will lead to some form of persecution.)
But His presence goes before me (By God's Spirit, he dwells inside the soul of the redeemed.)
And I'm covered with His blood. (What does that mean? Is that phrase in Scripture? Check it out.)





No comments:

Post a Comment